Devoted Exclusively To Criminal Defense – Deeply Experienced In Providing An Aggressive Defense In State And Federal Court

  1. Home
  2.  — 
  3. Juvenile Law
  4.  — Removing Juveniles From Sex Offender Lists

Removing Juveniles From The Sex Offender Registry

A harsh consequence of any adjudication of delinquency in criminal sexual conduct cases is a sex offender registration requirement. For adult convictions, removing the registry requirement generally requires a petition for clemency or a full pardon from the governor. However, if a juvenile court adjudicated someone as a minor, he or she may still have a chance to get off the sex offender list.

At The Law Office of Jessica Koester, LLC, we believe in second chances. Rehabilitation is also a stated goal of the juvenile law system. We have helped clients in Edwardsville and throughout Illinois jump through the various hoops required by Illinois law to remove burdensome registry requirements.

Call 618-307-4192 for a initial free consultation. You might be eligible to have your name removed from the registry.

An Ally In A Complex Process

Successfully petitioning the court to remove someone’s name from the sex offender list can be difficult. Depending on the crime, there is a waiting period of two to five years before filing the petition. After that, the person must prove to the court that they are no longer a risk to their community.

When making this determination, a court will consider:

  • A therapist’s official evaluation of the case
  • The person’s sex offender history
  • Evidence of rehabilitation
  • Victim impact statements
  • Other mitigating factors, such as social history, medical history, mental health history and anything else that the court deems relevant

Assembling the needed favorable evidence requires a solid strategy and a lot of legwork. Because every case is different, there is no substitute for personal legal advice.

Move Past The Stigma

Having a successful and productive life is difficult when the state gives constant reminders of past wrongdoing. Find out if you or a loved one might qualify for a second chance. To set up your free initial consultation, email our office.